Caring can be emotionally and physically demanding. Prioritising your wellbeing and gaining balance in your role as a carer is important. There are a number of great free resources available to support your health and wellbeing. Here are some we recommend:
- Join a Carer Support Group in your local area.
- Carers Victoria runs regular wellbeing workshops for carers. Visit our calendar for carers.
- SANE forums: The SANE Forums are moderated, online discussion spaces for Australians 18 years and over who are living with complex mental health issues, and families, friends and carers of people living with complex mental health issues.
- Beyond Blue has resources and supports available to help you achieve your best possible mental health. If you need support phone 1300 224 636 or visit the website: beyondblue.org.au
- If you are feeling suicidal or are worried about someone, the staff at Lifeline are available 24/7 on 13 11 14.
Wellbeing Apps and Websites:
- Headspace App: The free Headspace App gives you access to short meditation and mindfulness sessions. Download it on the App Store or Google Play.
- City in the Community website?
- Yoga with Adrienne: Free yoga classes on YouTube of varying lengths and intensities: youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene
- Couch to 5k: The couch to 5k program has been designed to get anyone from the couch to running 5km in just 9 weeks. Find out more: c25k.com
- Home Fitness: YouTube has a wide array of full-length workout videos featuring different types of exercises. One option is Fitness Blender which features bodyweight, HIIT, cardio and pilates videos: youtube.com/user/FitnessBlender